coronavirus

The latest figures from the North Central Health District of the Georgia Department of Public Health reveal a “substantial spread” of newly confirmed COVID-19 cases in Baldwin County.

None of the other 12 counties within the North Central Health District have climbed to that level within the past 14 days.

Figures released Monday show a 69 percent outbreak related number of COVID-19 cases in Baldwin County, overall.

“The other 31 percent of cases reported in Baldwin County have not been attributed to a single  area of concern and represent community-level spread within the county,” according to a state health report released Monday.

During the period from June 1 through June 14, the incidence rate of COVID-19 for Baldwin County residents was 165 per 100,000 population.

Meanwhile, figures also reveal a 32 percent decrease in newly confirmed COVID-19 cases among Baldwin County residents between June 1 through June 7, and from June 8 through June 14, according to Monday’s in depth report from state health officials.

The virus, which has sickened 444 residents in Baldwin County since the global pandemic began back in March, also has claimed the lives of 33 local residents — the majority of whom were living in local medical facilities.

Hancock County, which has a much smaller population than that of Baldwin County, has recorded only one fewer death. As of Monday, COVID-19 had been associated with 32 deaths in Sparta and Hancock County.

The majority of those deaths were related to persons living in nursing homes and who had underlying medical conditions.

In Baldwin County, deaths have occurred at the following facilities:

  • Georgia War Veterans Home in Milledgeville - 12;
  • Bostick Nursing Center - 5;
  • Central State Hospital - 3;
  • Baldwin State Prison - 2;
  • Chaplinwood Nursing Home - 1;
  • Riverbend Correctional Facility, 0.

In Hancock County, patients who died from complications associated with COVID-19 were from Sparta Health and Rehab, where 18 deaths have occurred since the pandemic, and Providence Health and Rehab, where eight deaths have occurred during the pandemic.

Figures also show there has been a 66 percent increase in cases in Hancock County associated with an outbreak. The other 34 percent of cases reported in Hancock County have not been attributed to a single area of concern and represent community-level spread within the county.

The latest figures from state health officials show that Hancock County had a 100 percent decrease in newly confirmed COVID-19 cases during the week of June 1 through June 7, and from June 8 through June 14.

In neighboring Putnam County, there have been a total of 11 deaths, nine of which included residents of Eatonton Health and Rehab.

Health officials said the cases in Putnam County associated with an outbreak account for 42 percent of the total cases countywide. The other 58-percent of cases reported in Putnam County have not been attributed to a single area of concern and represent community-level spread within the county.

There has been a 9 percent decrease in the number of newly confirmed COVID-19 cases among Putnam County residents between the week of June 1 and June 8, and from June 8 through June 14, according to state health officials.

React to this story:

2
1
0
2
0

Recommended for you