Ninety years ago, on June 14, 1929, a group of Milledgeville ladies put on their hats and white gloves and attended a garden party. This was not a tea party; this was a meeting to organize a club that would take off the white gloves and begin to beautify their beloved city and community. The rest is history.
Members of the Milledgeville Garden Club recently celebrated their 90th anniversary at Rose Hill Plantation House on the grounds of Lockerly Arboretum in Milledgeville. Milledgeville Garden Club was second to organize after the Garden Club of Georgia.
Club President Collene Dalrymple welcomed members and guests who enjoyed fellowship, fun and a delicious covered dish luncheon. There are now 51 members belonging to the Milledgeville Garden Club, and they continue to grow and do the work that started long ago.
The club helps maintain two public cemeteries and one state cemetery, hosts projects at the Boy’s & Girl’s Club, Georgia War Veterans Home, and local assisted living centers and nursing homes. They also continue their “Garden of the Month” by choosing members of the community who have beautified their homes and honor them by placing a sign noting their “Garden of the Month” status, on their property. Also, club members tour other gardens around the state.
Meetings with business sessions, great speakers and gardening tips are held to keep members informed of current issues to fulfill its purpose: “Beautification, Conservation and Education.”
Today, Milledgeville is blessed to have many garden clubs dedicated to enhancing and continuing this work. In 1929, the ladies had the foresight and energy to start a legacy of beauty for a beautiful city that was once the State Capitol of Georgia.