Clayton Eugene Blount

A Baldwin County man is hospitalized in Macon with multiple fractures to his face after he was hit in the head with a metal pipe following an altercation late Saturday at a residence near Milledgeville.

Local authorities arrested a man in connection with the assault a short time later.

The suspect was identified as Clayton Eugene Blount, 28, of the 100 block of Old Williamsburg Road, Milledgeville, according to an incident report filed by Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Kimberly Kile.

Blount was charged with one count of aggravated assault, records show.

After his arrest, Blount was taken to the Baldwin County Law Enforcement Center where he was jailed.

The victim, meanwhile, was identified as 50-year-old Terrell Lee Archer, also of the 100 block of Old Williamsburg Road, Milledgeville, according to the incident report.

Kile said the incident happened about 11:30 p.m. at the victim’s residence.

The deputy said she responded to what had been described as a fight call.

Kile said she and Deputy Brandon Towe were later flagged down and taken to the residence where the crime had already taken place. Inside the residence, they found Archer laying face down on his stomach.

“He was covered in blood,” Kile said in the report.

The deputy said she asked if anyone there had witnessed what happened.

Kile said Towe tended to the victim and called for medical personnel to come to the scene while she talked with a witness.

Archer was later treated at the residence by personnel with Grady Emergency Medical Services before he was taken to The Medical Center Navicent Health in Macon.

Kile said Archer, who sustained several facial fractures, was admitted into the hospital’s intensive care unit.

The deputy said she asked Maria Arnold, a witness, to tell her what had happened.

Kile said Arnold and Blount had just driven up to the residence in her grandmother’s vehicle and at the time Archer came out of the residence and began yelling and shouting at them, according to the report.

Arnold said Archer appeared to be “extremely intoxicated.”

The deputy said the witness said Archer began pushing and shoving Blount, and that Blount tried to get Archer to back away from them and to go back inside the residence.

Arnold said she attempted to get Blount to go inside, but Archer would not allow Blount to pass by him. Arnold said Blount told Archer that he didn’t want anyone to get hurt and to back away.

“But Mr. Archer persisted,” Arnold told the deputy, noting Archer pushed her and that Blount picked up some type of object and hit Archer with it.

Arnold told the deputy she could not see what Blount hit Archer with because it was dark outside.

Arnold said Archer pushed past them and went back inside the residence. She said Blount also went inside, but she stayed outside, Kile said in her report.

The deputy said after speaking with Arnold, she saw a man, described as white, walking up Beaver Road toward the residence. The deputy said the man identified himself as Clayton Blount when asked.

The deputy said she ordered Blount to place his hands behind his back and she placed him in handcuffs.

Blount was placed in the backseat of a patrol car. The suspect reportedly waived his rights and talked with deputies.

“Mr. Blount advised he hit Mr. Archer with a metal pipe as he had felt threatened by Mr. Archer,” Kile said in her report.

Blount said Archer appeared to be intoxicated at the time and he had come out of his residence yelling at him and began pushing him around.

Blount told deputies he hit Archer once with the metal pipe and then walked away from the residence with the pipe.

Blount told deputies that he later dropped the pipe somewhere along Beaver Road.

An attempt to find the pipe used in the assault was unsuccessful.

React to this story: