Members of the board of trustees for Georgia’s Old Capital Heritage Center gathered for a groundbreaking on the Ramp It Up Project at The Depot.
They were joined by representatives from the Chamber of Commerce, volunteers and community supporters. Once completed, the project will provide three access ramps from the parking lot to the front doors of The Depot, currently under renovation for a regional heritage center.
President Carl Goings shared a brief history of the Baldwin 2000+ Committee that conceived the idea of creating a museum of regional history to celebrate Baldwin County’s 200th anniversary in 2003.
From the museum, located for 17 years in the Old Capitol Building, that idea flowered into a regional heritage center in The Depot. Mrs. James Baugh, one of the founding members of the Baldwin 2000+ Committee, was recognized for her vision and commitment to the museum, and now the Depot Project.
The Depot is located on the campus of the former Central State Hospital. It was built in 1891 with three later additions and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is owned by Georgia’s Old Capital Heritage Center at The Depot Inc.
The Ramp It Up Project is funded by Georgia Gives Day 2019 donations, supporters of the Heritage Center, and a generous grant from the Milledgeville Town Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames-Georgia.
Georgia's Old Capital Heritage Center at The Depot, Inc., is the recipient of funding provided by Georgia Humanities and the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the CARES Act economic stabilization plan of 2020. For more information visit www.Georgia Humanities.org.