U-R update

A 51-year-old Baldwin County man was arrested late Saturday in connection with a hit-and-run case involving two vehicles on Mount Pleasant Church Road.

The victim involved in the incident followed the suspect’s pickup truck to a residence on Colony Farm Road before he telephoned local authorities.

The man arrested was identified as Larry Wayne Wood, of the 100 block of Colony Farm Road, Milledgeville, according to an incident report filed by Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Todd Blackwell.

Wood was charged with hit-and-run, and given a citation for having an expired tag, records show.

After his arrest at his residence, Wood was taken to the Baldwin County Law Enforcement Center where he was jailed.

Blackwell said in his report that Steven William Cummings, of Gray, waited for him to arrive at the Stop and Shop No. 4 store on Gordon Highway.

The deputy later learned from a dispatcher that Cummings sustained what was described as superficial cuts to one of his arms and that personnel with Grady Emergency Medical Services were en route to the store to render medical assistance.

Cummings said a truck crossed the centerline on Mount Pleasant Church Road and struck his driver’s side rearview side mirror.  

Blackwell said after he got to the store that Cummings told him that the man who had hit his vehicle earlier had pulled into the driveway in the 100 block of Colony Farm Road. The victim told the deputy that the pickup truck would have damages on the driver’s side.

“The victim also advised me that the suspect told him not to call law enforcement as he had been drinking,” Blackwell said in his report.

The deputy followed up on the information he had received from the victim. He went to the residence where he spotted a Ford F-150 pickup truck with damages to the driver’s side mirror and a broken side driver’s window in the yard.

Blackwell said he later talked directly with Wood, who informed him that he was the driver of the Ford involved in the collision.

The deputy said Wood had a visible injury to his left arm, but he declined medical treatment.

When asked about the collision, Wood reportedly told Blackwell that the two vehicles had gotten too close to each other while passing, and thus collided. Wood reportedly said the incident sounded like a “shotgun.”

Blackwell said Wood told him he had consumed four beers earlier Saturday night.

The deputy said he smelled an alcoholic beverage coming from Wood’s breath. At that time, the deputy said he told a dispatcher to alert a state trooper to Wood’s residence so a field sobriety test could be performed. 

Trooper First Class Daniel McMullen with the Georgia State Patrol post in Milledgeville performed the test and told Blackwell that Wood did not fail the test.

A short time later, Wood was arrested for leaving the scene of an accident (hit-and-run).


React to this story: