U-R update

Deputies with the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office recently arrested a couple of local men at The Milledgeville Manor Apartments on criminal charges.

One of the suspects was in the possession of a loaded handgun, authorities say.

The two men were identified as Markese Staques Norris, 29, of the 1400 block of South Jefferson Street, Milledgeville; and Latroy Dennis, 18, of the 100 block of Hollingshed Avenue, Milledgeville, according to an incident report filed by Deputy Sgt. Lee Kitchens.

Norris was charged with one count of obstruction of a law enforcement officer, while Dennis was charged with possession of a gun.

After the two men were arrested on March 16, they were taken to the Baldwin County Law Enforcement Center and jailed.

Kitchens said in his report that he was dispatched to The Manor after an anonymous phone call that referenced a previous call about shots fired at the apartment complex on South Jefferson Street.

KItchens said when he drove up in his patrol car he spotted four men — one matching the description of the alleged offender involved in the previous shooting and who was reportedly still armed with some type of gun.

The deputy said he got out of his car and talked with all four men.

“Two of the four had their hands in their pockets, so I instructed them to take their hands out of their pockets and place them on a railing, which they were standing near,” Kitchens said in his report.

Although they all complied with the deputy’s instructions, Norris reportedly became argumentative.

Meanwhile, one of the other unidentified men took off running into the F Building of the apartment complex, while Deputy Ernesto Lopez ran after him, according to Kitchens.

While patting down Norris, Kitchens said he called for assistance from other deputies since he and Lopez were outnumbered and the situation was becoming a safety concern.

Kitchens said while waiting on backup to arrive, he began patting down another man, who turned out to be Dennis.

“As I moved to pat down Dennis for weapons, I could see a bulge in his right pocket,” Kitchens said. “I was then barely able to see the end of a pistol handle protruding from his right pocket.”

Immediately, the deputy said he grabbed Dennis and pushed him against the railing and attempted to secure him in handcuffs.

Kitchens said during the process, Norris became “very argumentative” and at one point approached him.

Kitchens said he immediately told Norris to back away, but Norris was verbally combative and did not listen to the deputy.

The deputy said he repeatedly told Norris to either comply or leave the scene.

Kitchens said he was able to handcuff Dennis and safely retrieve the gun from him.

Kitchens said he placed the gun on the ground and stepped on it.

“I then grabbed Norris and instructed him to place his hands behind his back,” Kitchens said. “Norris tensed up his hands and began pulling away.”

Kitchens said he later placed Norris up against the railing while Lopez assisted him in placing handcuffs on the man.

After Dennis and Norris were in custody, Kitchens said he then retrieved the gun that had been in Dennis’ possession. He said he unloaded the gun and made it safe,

The pistol was described as a .40-caliber semi-automatic Taurus PT model, according to the incident report.

Kitchens said the handgun was loaded with one round in the chamber.

The deputy said when he asked Dennis how he acquired the gun, he said the suspect told him he had found it.

React to this story:


Recommended for you