MILLEDGEVILLE — Childre Nissan of Milledgeville is partnering with Georgia Cancer Support (GCS) once again to help raise funds for area cancer patients during the second annual Sell-A-Thon fundraiser next week.
The community is invited to stop by Wednesday, Sept. 18 through Saturday, Sept. 21 to test drive a vehicle for a chance to win various prizes, including a University of Georgia and Georgia Tech gift baskets and football game tickets.
“Anyone who brings in a donation for Georgia Cancer Support will also receive a ticket for a chance to win other giveaway baskets and gift cards from several local businesses and restaurants,” said Robbie White, GCS founder. “For every car sold, we will also get $100.”
College and high school students and volunteers are needed to help promote the fundraiser and bring in donations through a Phone-A-Thon starting at 9 a.m. Saturday.
“We will teach anybody willing to volunteer their time to participate in a Phone-A-Thon. Anyone with a cell phone can participate,” White said. “We will provide them with a script and train them how to make phone calls for fundraisers. After about an hour of training, they will get on the phone from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and ask for donations. For every donation they receive, they will get tickets to enter into a drawing for a chance to win different prizes.”
Families are welcome to enjoy boiled peanuts, popcorn, refreshments, face painting, children activities and a live remote with Z97 FM. Other prizes available include gift baskets and gift cards from Monograms and More, Olive Forge Herb Farm, Sew Sassy, The Lemon Tree, Papa John’s, Chick-fil-A and Magnolia State Bank.
The local dealership provided GCS $3,000 from last year’s Sell-A-Thon event.
“Our goal this year is $3,000,” White said. “We’re so grateful to Childre Nissan for doing this for us. This is wonderful; it’s a blessing.”
Other upcoming fundraisers for GCS include:
• Fundraiser for Robbie Flury: Tickets for barbecue plates from Georgia Bob’s Barbecue can be purchased for $10 each now through Saturday, Nov. 16. Of each ticket sale, $3 will be given to Flury. Donations can also be made to the GCS account at Magnolia State Bank to support Flury, 34, who battles pancreatic cancer.
• Tee Off for Hope: The second annual golf tournament fundraiser is scheduled Friday, Oct. 4 at Little Fishing Creek. Early registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. before tee-off at 10 a.m. Various prizes will be available throughout the event, including a $25,000 cash prize for a hole in one. Teams of two can sign-up for $100 or individuals can register for $50 at Little Fishing Creek. For more information, to register, or sponsor the event, call Janet Merklein at 478-387-6422, or visit the GCS website.
• Deep Roots Festival Charity Ride: The Bicycling Club of Milledgeville is sponsoring the second annual charity ride to support the Oconee River Greenway Foundation and GCS. On-site registration begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19 prior to the ride starting at 9 a.m. The first 100 registrants will get a special early bird price of $30. After 100 people have registered, the price will increase to $40 for pre-registration. All pre-registered attendees will receive a Dri-Fit T-shirt. All attendees will receive free breakfast and a barbecue chicken lunch along with free admission into the award-winning Deep Roots Festival. For more information about the fundraiser, visit www.mvillebikes.com.
• Boston Butt fundraiser: Tickets for Boston Butts and baked goods are available for $5 for three tickets, or $2 per ticket. Items can be picked up Saturday, Nov. 2. A pink and white blanket representing blood cancer will also be raffled off.
• Junior Collis Memorial Bass Tournament: A bass fishing tournament in memory of Junior Collis is slated Saturday, Nov. 16 at Little River Park at safe light. More than 400 fishermen are expected to be in attendance. Pre-registration is encouraged for the cost of $160 per person. The sponsorship deadline is Friday, Nov. 1. Collis passed away in May from skin cancer. Proceeds from the tournament will benefit GCS. For more information or to register call Bobby Berry at 770-787-6179. To become a sponsor for the fundraiser, contact White.
GCS is a Christian-based, nonprofit organization that dedicates its efforts to assisting cancer patients and their families in need. Founded in 2011, GCS raises money through gracious donations and various events to provide resources and other means of support for patients. GCS opened a second location in Rockmart, Ga. last fall to help serve cancer patients in the north Georgia area. Numerous lives have already been touched through the Christ-like love GCS spreads.
For more information about GCS, or to donate funds or supplies, call White at 478-731-9390, visit www.gacancersupport.com, or like the Georgia Cancer Support Facebook page.
Click here to subscribe to The Union-Recorder print edition. http://tinyurl.com/6qdm4oj
Click here to subscribe to The Union-Recorder e-edition and view this full article. http://unionrecorder.cnhi.newsmemory.com/