MILLEDGEVILLE — Georgia Cancer Support (GCS) has raised more than $17,000 since last year through various fundraisers and community donations. With the needs of cancer patients on the rise, funds are quickly dwindling for the local organization.
“We’ve helped 147 cancer patients this year alone. We’ve used $16,800 so far and we’ve run out of funds to help more patients,” said Robbie White, founder of GCS. “If it weren’t for the kind hearts of people, there’s no way we could do this. We appreciate every donation that comes in; these people need it. This community has really been hit with cancer.”
For the second year, GCS is partnering with nine Papa John’s Pizza locations across middle Georgia, including Dublin, Macon, Milledgeville and Warner Robins. Customers ordering one large, three-topping pizza online for $10 can enter the coupon code GCS10 and Papa John’s will donate $1 to the local nonprofit. The deal can only be redeemed online through Saturday, Aug. 31.
Upcoming fundraisers for GCS include:
• Fundraiser for Isaac Larkin: a three-piece chicken dinner with slaw, fries and a roll can be purchased for $6.50. Tickets are on sale through Saturday, Aug. 24 and meals can be redeemed between Tuesday, Aug. 27 and Sunday, Sept. 1. For each ticket sale, $3 will be donated to Larkin who is diagnosed with brain cancer. Tickets can be purchased from Dr. Trip Simpson’s office, Georgia Cancer Specialists, the local soup kitchen and GCS.
• Fundraiser for Robbie Flury: Tickets for barbecue plates from Georgia Bob’s Barbecue can be purchased for $9 each. Of each ticket sale, $2.50 will be given to Flury. Donations can also be made to the GCS account at Magnolia State Bank to support Flury, 34, who battles pancreatic cancer.
• Childre Nissan will host a Sell-A-Thon and Phone-A-Thon for GCS and donate $100 for every car sold in September. GCS will also raffle a University of Georgia and Georgia Tech basket and tickets to football games during the event. Families are welcome to enjoy refreshments, face painting, children activities and a live remote with Z97.
• Tee Off for Hope: The second annual golf tournament fundraiser is scheduled Friday, Oct. 4 at Little Fishing Creek. Early registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. before tee off at 10 a.m. Various prizes will be available throughout the event. Teams of two can sign-up for $100 at Little Fishing Creek. For more information, to register, or sponsor the event, call Janet Merklein at 478-387-6422, or visit the GCS website.
• Deep Roots Festival Charity Ride: The Bicycling Club of Milledgeville is sponsoring the second annual charity ride to support the Oconee River Greenway Foundation and GCS. On-site registration begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19 prior to the ride starting at 9 a.m. The first 100 registrants will get a special early bird price of $30. After 100 people have registered, the price will jump to $40 for pre-registration. All pre-registered attendees will receive a Dri-Fit T-shirt. All attendees will receive free breakfast and a barbecue chicken lunch along with free admission into the award-winning Deep Roots Festival. For more information about the fundraiser, visit www.mvillebikes.com.
• Boston Butt fundraiser: Tickets for Boston Butts and baked goods are available for $5 for three tickets, or $2 per ticket. Items can be picked up Saturday, Nov. 2. A pink and white blanket representing blood cancer will also be raffled off.
• Junior Collis Memorial Bass Tournament: A bass fishing tournament in memory of Junior Collis is slated Saturday, Nov. 16 at Little River Park at safe light. More than 400 fishermen are expected to be in attendance. Pre-registration is encouraged. Collis passed away in May from skin cancer. Proceeds from the tournament will benefit GCS. For more information or to register, contact Bobby Berry at 770-787-6179. To become a sponsor for the fundraiser, contact White.
“We need donations of gas cards, gift cards and Boost. We need volunteers to help drive patients to get their groceries or help pay for their prescriptions. I’m averaging two to three calls per week from cancer patients who need help from the Macon and Milledgeville areas alone,” White said. “We need volunteers to help and see what’s going on here.”
GCS is a Christian-based, nonprofit organization that dedicates its efforts to assisting cancer patients and their families in need. Since founded in 2011, GCS raises money through gracious donations and various events to provide resources and other means of support for patients. Numerous lives have already been touched through the Christ-like love GCS spreads.
Corporate sponsors supporting GCS include Magnolia State Bank, Georgia Power, Beckham’s Used Cars, Jim Fain Insurance, Designing Line and Serenity Wellness Spa.
For more information about GCS, or to donate funds or supplies, contact White at 478-731-9390, visit www.gacancersupport.com, or like the Georgia Cancer Support Facebook page.