The Baldwin Lightning Jets carried 31 athletes to the 2013 USATF National Junior Olympic Track & Field Championships held July 22-28 at North Carolina A&T University in Greensboro, N.C. The following middle Georgia competitors paced the Jets’ effort.
• Darius Ruff, Evan Simmons, Dalvin Ruff and KeAndre Bolston were national champions in the Boys 13-14 4x400 meter relay with a time of 3:30.17.
• Darius Ruff, Jatavious Harris, Dalvin Ruff and KeAndre Bolston placed fourth in the Boys 13-14 4x100 with a time of 45.25.
• Daloria Boone finished fourth in the nation in the Girls 13-14 long jump with a jump of 17-7.
• Totianna Badger earned eighth place in the Girls 13- 14 triple jump at 33-10 3/4.
• Antwaun Poole, Donterious Copeland, Brandon Bawn and Quintaveon Poole earned a runner-up finish in the Mens 17-18 4x400m with a time of 3:12.47.
Jakayla Hubert, Aris Hubbard, Micah Welch, Lataveon Roach and Amani Simmons represented Baldwin County well in North Carolina also.
Coach Everett “Shine” Havior said the Jets group performed tremendously against 120 track clubs. Advancing through qualifying, preliminaries and semifinals to the final medal rounds was a hard task considering 2,600 athletes began at nationals.
The Baldwin Jets merged with the Macon White Lightning this summer and look to continue competing together as the indoor season kicks in.