The Union Recorder

March 22, 2014

Two plead guilty in drive-by shooting

From staff reports
The Union-Recorder

MILLEDGEVILLE — Two men were sentenced Friday relating to a Sept. 14, 2013 West Thomas Street incident that left one male victim shot in the head.

Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Chief Assistant District Attorney Stephen Bradley said Patrick Dewayne Renfroe, 22, and Quinton Franklin, 23, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault.

Renfroe received 10 years to serve, while Franklin pleaded to 15 years with the first four in prison.

The Milledgeville Police Department responded to a 911 call that September morning in reference to gunshots heard on the west side of town. Upon arrival to the scene, they discovered that a man's car had crashed into the caller's home.

The driver was struck on the back of the head by a bullet while sitting in his car, according to the MPD report. The victim was taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia for treatment.

During the incident, the victim was alert and conscious enough to answer questions for the police. He stated that he believed the assault was due to a situation involving a female.

As the investigation continued, names of individuals who were possibly connected to the shooting surfaced.

Renfroe was the first arrest made soon after the incident. Both men were indicted in Baldwin County Superior Court last November.

Bradley said a dispute led to the shooting.

Renfroe was the alleged shooter although the 22-year-old said another person in the car was the triggerman, according to the prosecutor.

“He was identified by some as being the shooter,” Bradley said Friday. “Franklin was identified as the driver.”

The violence left the victim in critical condition.

“A lot of us believed this was going to be a murder, and there was no way the young man who was hit could survive because the bullet went into his brain,” the assistant DA said. “He has made a great recovery and is doing quite well back at work.”

MPD Det. Deidre Byrd was the lead investigator with assistance from Maj. Reggie Hill and Det. Kim Khan.

“They were all in court [Friday], and we were ready for a hearing,” Bradley said. “It's a serious case. If you care about your community, you care about keeping it safe and making sure you don't have this sort of violence in a residential neighborhood. It was dangerous to a lot of folks. We are pleased to get a good result on it.”