The Union Recorder

December 11, 2013

GSP still investigating fatal accident

Kyle Collins
The Union-Recorder

MILLEDGEVILLE — The Georgia State Patrol investigation into last week’s accident that claimed the life of a local infant and injured four others is ongoing. No charges have been filed to date.

An infant died early Wednesday, Dec. 4 succumbing to injuries suffered in the collision on North Jefferson Street the previous evening.

The Georgia State Patrol Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team (SCRT) investigation is still underway.

At 6:52 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3., a northbound 2008 Toyota Camry crossed over into southbound traffic hitting a 2007 Chevrolet Impala head-on just past East Walton Street.

According to the Milledgeville Police Department report, Sparta resident and backseat Camry passenger Vernita Reeves removed her 13-month-old child from the car seat “due to the child spitting up” and “said that is when the crash occurred.”

The MPD report said the infant was unresponsive and not breathing at the scene. 

According to the report, the police officer “continued gathering information and noticed that the infant seat that was located inside the Camry was not installed properly and closer inspection revealed that the seat had not been secured inside the car.”

Neither the Camry’s driver, Mildred Baugh Hill, or the front seat passenger Pauline Cummings were able to give any information on the cause of the crash, based on the report.

The southbound Impala driver, 50-year-old Thomas Edward Manley of Milledgeville, told MPD at the scene “he only knew that the other vehicle suddenly moved into his lane.”

Manley appeared trapped inside his vehicle when the reporting MPD officer approached last Tuesday.

“After forcefully opening the door, I saw that the driver had not been wearing his seat belt and that he had been forced under the dash by the force of the crash and was unable to move,” the report said. “I stayed with Manley for a short time until fire department personnel arrived.”

Hill, 65, from Sparta, was also trapped and required extraction from the front seat, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

Due to the severity of the crash, GSP took over as the investigating agency. 

The SCRT came out to the crash site Tuesday evening for follow up purposes. The group investigates fatal crashes and documents evidence for potential legal use. 

Authorities closed down the roadway from Walton to Hall street for three hours, allowing the SCRT to analyze the scene. 

The four adults involved were transported to the Medical Center of Central Georgia were they were listed at critical but stable condition as of last Wednesday.

Senior Trooper Marion Bragg with the SCRT said Tuesday one person was released, while the others remain in the hospital. He would not confirm the name of the individual who had been released.

“I haven’t had a chance to make contact with them,” Bragg said. “At this point, we are trying to get our hands wrapped around everything. It is an ongoing investigation. Due to the extent of injuries to the parties involved, we just haven’t been able to make much headway in establishing some certain facts.”