The Union Recorder

Local News

December 31, 2013

Woman identified in fatal fire

MILLEDGEVILLE — The local woman who lost her life in a Friday evening fire has been identified. 

The South Jefferson Street fire claimed the life of Doris L. Cooper, who local authorities said was in her early 70s.

The Milledgeville Fire Department and Baldwin County Fire Rescue responded around 9:40 p.m. Friday to a structure blaze at 1101 S. Jefferson St. Based on the preliminary investigation, authorities believe Cooper died of smoke inhalation. 

Milledgeville Police Department officers on patrol originally spotted the fire and made the emergency call.

By the time firefighters arrived, flames were through the roof, according to fire officials.

Relatives later arrived on scene and advised fire officials that there were two elderly people who lived in the residence. A short time later Cooper’s husband arrived on scene and informed officers that to his best knowledge his wife was likely in the back of the residence, according the Milledgeville Police incident report.

Cooper was found in a back room near the kitchen area.

According to reports, the fire originated on a kitchen stove.

Officials are unsure if the woman was asleep when the cooking fire began or if smoke detectors were present and operational in the home.

The fire case was turned over to the city fire investigator.

1
Text Only
Local News
Poll
AP Video
Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Stocks
NDN Video