The J. Whitney Bunting College of Business at Georgia College named Robert L. Brown Jr. as its 2012-13 “Executive of the Year.”
Brown is founder and CEO of RL Brown & Associates in Decatur, Ga.
The award honors a business person who has made a significant impact in Georgia during his or her career.
Brown founded RL Brown & Associates during 1984. The firm provides professional architecture, planning, interior design and construction management services. The company’s projects have included new designs and renovations for universities, museums, cultural centers and public libraries.
Brown has a long relationship with Georgia College, serving as one of its Georgia Education Mentorship Program (GEM) mentors. GEM gives rising juniors and seniors the opportunity to shadow and understand the roles executives play in business, law, nonprofit, education and health care.
“Mr. Brown has been a dedicated GEM mentor since the program's inception in 2002,” said John Bowen, coordinator of Leadership Programs at Georgia College. “He is humble, compassionate and inspiring. His mentees have benefitted tremendously from their experience with him. It’s an absolute pleasure and honor to know and work with him. He is a great selection as Georgia College’s 'Executive of the Year.'”
Brown became "Georgia Trend Magazine’s" most respected CEO during 2012. He was the Metro Atlanta Chamber Small Business Person of the Year during 1996. He also has served as chair of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and held leadership positions with the Metro Atlanta Chamber and Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education.
Brown graduated magna cum laude from Tuskegee University’s architecture program.
Currently, Brown mentors Georgia College English major Krissy Anderson.
“Mr. Brown has helped shape my leadership philosophy,” said Anderson. “He is a living example of character and selflessness. It’s both an honor and joy to learn from him.”
Brown will receive the award during a campus ceremony at noon Monday, March 18, in Magnolia Ballroom across from Georgia College's front campus in Milledgeville, Ga.
Previous ‘Executives of the Year’
Begun in 1996 by Dean Emeritus Jo Ann Jones, the annual “Executive of the Year” award honors an individual with strong Georgia connections who is noted for his/her significant accomplishments in business, government or the non-profit sector, as well as their professional integrity and mentoring the next generation of leaders. Previous recipients are:
• 1996 Rebecca Paul Hargrove, president of Georgia Lottery Corp., now CEO of Tennessee Lottery;
• 1997 Dudley Horton, president of Horton Homes in Eatonton, Ga.;
• 1998 Tom DuPree, CEO of AVADO Brands in Madison, Ga.;
• 1999 Truett Cathy, chairman, Chick-fil-A Inc. in Atlanta, Ga.;
• 2000 Tony Nicely, CEO of GEICO, Chevy Chase, Md.;
• 2001 Mercer Reynolds, CEO of Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro, Ga., and Cincinnati, Ohio;
• 2002 Alex Gregory, president and CEO of YKK Corp. of America in Marietta, Ga.;
• 2003 Paula Rosput Reynolds, CEO of AGL Resources, now president of Safeco Corp. in Seattle, Wash.;
• 2004 Mike Garrett, president and CEO of Georgia Power Co. in Atlanta, Ga.;
• 2006 Don Faulk, President/CEO of The Medical Center of Central Georgia and Central Georgia Health Systems in Macon, Ga.;
• 2007 Bryan Moss, president of Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah, Ga.;
• 2008 Hugh Peterson, chairman and CEO of VNS Corp. in Vidalia, Ga;
• 2009-2010 Malcolm Burgess, president and chairman of the board of Burgess Pigment Co. in Macon and Sandersville, Ga.; and
• 2011-2012 Ken Cornelius, president and CEO of Siemens One in Atlanta.
Click here to subscribe to The Union-Recorder print edition. http://tinyurl.com/6qdm4oj
Click here to subscribe to The Union-Recorder e-edition. http://unionrecorder.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx