The Union Recorder

Local News

December 30, 2013

Elderly woman dies in home fire

MILLEDGEVILLE — A Friday evening fire claiming the life of a woman in her early 70s is still under investigation.

The Milledgeville Fire Department and Baldwin County Fire Rescue responded around 9:40 p.m. Friday to a structure blaze at 1101 S. Jefferson St.

Milledgeville Police Department officers on patrol originally spotted the fire and made the emergency call.

By the time firefighters arrived, flames were through the roof, according to fire officials.

The female was found in a back room near the kitchen area.

Baldwin County Coroner John Gonzalez’s preliminary evaluation pegged smoke inhalation as the cause of death.

According to reports, the fire originated on a kitchen stove.

Officials are unsure if the woman was asleep when the cooking fire began or if smoke detectors were present and operational in the home.

The family has been informed of the death, but authorities wouldn’t release the name at press time Monday.

 

1
Text Only
Local News
Poll
AP Video
Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Stocks
NDN Video