Last month I wrote a letter to the editor which was published in The Union-Recorder telling of my Civitan Club’s effort to raise enough funds for 100 smoke detectors for the county. I regretted that the efforts of many with the club and those who donated prizes for the Smoke Gets in Your Eyes Festival here at Flooring America had fallen short and we would only be able to provide about 85 of the 10-year detectors. The Baldwin County Fire Department had graciously agreed to install them free of charge.
I lamented that my grandfather and pastor would have said, “It was worth the effort.” Apparently I used the wrong quote. I should have used the one that goes “They that upon the Lord shall renew thy strength.”
It seems that we received some late donations from the Georgia Civitan District Foundation and not only met our goal but exceeded it. Now we will be able to furnish 106 of these lithium smoke detectors to Baldwin County residents and the BC Fire Department will be a little busier installing all of these.
Funding for this project had been cut from the local budget so the Civitan Club took this on as their big project because over 100 Georgians die in house fires each year. Most have improper detectors or old batteries which fail when needed. We wanted to keep Baldwin a little safer and now we will.
Thanks again to all who participated in making this happen.