165 Garrett Way NW
Milledgeville, GA 31061
1806 – 1820
There were five newspapers in Milledgeville.
The Milledgeville Intelligencer
February 15, 1820 – Southern Recorder
Seaton Grantland and Richard Orme published the first issue of the Southern Recorder. (a weekly newspaper published on Tuesday). At that time Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia. In its second issue, the Southern Recorder assumed a responsibility we have honored to this day …
“the obligation to promote the welfare of our community.”
July 1830 – Federal Union
The Federal Union appeared, beginning a 40-year editorial war with the Southern Recorder --- which did not cease until the two newspapers merged in 1872. Before the merger the Federal Union had changed its name to the Milledgeville Federal Union.
1851 – Federal Union
Sold to Boughton, Nesbit and Barnes.
1861 – Federal Union
Changed name to the Southern Federal Union
1862 – Federal Union
Jere N. Moore became managing editor.
1865 – Federal Union
Jere N. Moore purchased one-fourth interest in the newspaper. Mr. Moore
was made managing editor of the Federal Union, which later purchased the Southern Recorder.
Throughout the Civil War, publishing a newspaper became more difficult with each day. Paper, ink and equipment were harder to obtain with the North’s tightening blockades. Many Georgia editors gave up their efforts of publishing a weekly newspaper, but the Southern Recorder and the Federal Union endured to the end of the war.
1872 – the Federal Union / the Southern Recorder
The owners of the Federal Union purchased the Southern Recorder and formed one newspaper named, the Union and Recorder. August 7, 1872, masthead was changed to “the Milledgeville Union Recorder”.
Mr. Boughton died. Barnes and Moore purchased Mr. Boughton’s interest.
The name of the newspaper was changed to The Union-Recorder.
The Georgia Press Association was founded in Milledgeville. The two Milledgeville newspapers were hosts to editors from Atlanta, Macon, Thomasville and Sandersville. The Association was formed and the two Milledgeville editors were elected as officers of the organization.